Thursday, March 11, 2010

Tip: Stinky Synthetic Leather

I got a very interesting question from a reader who writes, 

Q: "How can I get rid of the stinky smell of my new synthetic leather boots? I didn't want to pay for the real thing, so I went with cheap ones. Problem is, they smell like gasoline and I am embarrassed to wear them!"

A: Having encountered this once before myself, I'm happy to share what I did to help eliminate the gasoline smell. First, I put the shoes outside. I bet you can't stand the smell of them in a closed room, so outside is a good start. Second, I tried wrapping them in newspaper. Synthetic leather, like real leather, can be slightly porous, so wrapping the boots in newspaper will absorb the smell. This wasn't the most effective thing I tried though. Find a big box or bag and empty an entire box of baking soda into the bottom, then place the boots inside. Seal it tight and let the boots sit in the bag overnight. Baking soda is wonderful for absorbing odors, and this should help.

Let me know if this works for you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. Waltery Synthetic Leather Co., Ltd is my company name

 
Site Meter