Friday, February 5, 2010

Tip: Liquid Eyeliner How-To

If you've been tempted to try liquid eyeliner, but been afraid to give it a go, here are a few easy steps to follow to get an even, smooth line every time.

TIP: If you're going to wear eyeshadow, I find it's easier to put that on first, then do eyeliner. 

1. Pick a gel liner rather than a true liquid liner. Gel is easier to work with, and less messy so you're not as likely to make mistakes.

2. Close your eye and hold the outer corner of your eye and gently pull your lid toward your ear. GENTLY! You're trying to create a smooth surface.

3. Next, take an angle eyeliner brush and create three dashes across your eyelid as close to your eyelashes as possible. Start with the inner corner of your eyelid, then add one in the middle, and one on the outside. Extend the last dash slightly past the edge of your lid.

4. Go back with your eyeliner brush and carefully fill in the space between the dashes. No need to reload the brush with more liner unless your brush is totally dry.

5. When you're done, you'll have a fairly dramatic looking line. Take an eyeshadow in a color similar to your liner and brush it over your line, smudging it to tone down the harshness of your line.

4 comments:

Sara Johnson said...

This is really valuable information! I have trouble all the time with eye-liner and you have made the process much easier and less scary for the early mornings!

WE Lead Mary said...

Here is my question - which, of course, is related to an outfit I need to put on in about 3 hours - and will be FASCINATING to your readers, no doubt:

Wedding. Not in it, but husband is, so he will be in tux. But there are 6 inches of snow outside wedding facility in park. And this is a casual group - was surprised by tuxes. Was going to wear black dress with fake fur shrug, fancy necklace, and heels (black tights, natch). BUT, given snow, am going to wear boots. Don't care if that is wrong. It's happening. Too cold! So, if I did that, since they are leather, sparkly necklace out. Would a huge chunky piece of turquoise on a silver necklace look dumb with a fake fur shrug? Also considering wearing crop red jacket from Italy, also tres cool. BUT, it is red, so can't wear new red DeGroot clutch (too matchy for me). But could wear my older black DeGroot 6-speed clutch.

DECISIONS! If you're bored, would be interested in your thoughts. :)

Monika R. "RedKat" said...

Sara - thank you for the feedback. Mary, so sorry I'm just now getting to your question. I hope you chose to wear the boots! I'd say that you could've done the faux fur with a simple necklace and a statement bag. Please let me know what you decided!

Covington Mary said...

Well, since you asked! I opted for the boots (so glad) and the sassy cropped red jacket (you would love this jacket, Ms. Redkatblonde - I got it in SF, CA at a little hidden store that sold samples from European designers - it's perfect over all black dresses to create a whole new outfit). I did not wear the necklace at all because the jacket was plenty by itself. I could have worn the necklace for when I took the little jacket off, but I figured I wouldn't remove it, given my propensity for being cold at all times. I was correct.

Bottom line, I still get to look forward to wearing the fake fur shrug at a later time. Possibly with simple statement necklace.

 
Site Meter