It's Halloween Eve, and horrors upon horrors...you have no costume! Never fear, here are some easy (hopefully) ideas for splashy, stylish costumes that you can create from what you have in your closet. The added ingredients? Whatever is left at the costume store, which is generally the hats, accessories and oddities. Work them and be the hit of the party!
1. Red Devil - If you have a red bridesmaid dress, a red sheath or any sexy siren red cocktail dress, go as a demon diva. Pick up a pair of devil horns, or make your own. Skip the sewing steps and use fabric glue for all the time-consuming work. Hot!
2. Fairy Princess - Again with a bridesmaid dress, but this time pick one in green, brown or something earthy. Grab a pair of fairy wings, or buy 9-gauge wire and make a pair of mod, twisty wire wings and leave off the fabric. Flirty!
3. Cruella DeVille - Everyone's got an LBD right...a little black dress? Take that little black dress, and add a faux fur stole. A few yards of white faux fur from the fabric store will do the trick too. Paint on black spots for effect, then add long opera gloves which can be found at any Claire's Boutique, black stockings and voila. For bonus points, find a black and white wig, or go old school and spray your hair half black, half white.
4. Naughty School Girl - Overdone sometimes, but so easy to pull off. Plaid skirt, white oxford cloth shirt, knee highs and black mary janes. For effect, carry a backpack and chomp on gum. Vamp it up and tie the front of the shirt in a sassy knot. Be sure to put your hair in pigtails too!
5. Miss America - Another bridesmaid dress? Another costume. Any color will work. Simply take a piece of white silky fabric for a sash, iron on the letters MISS AMERICA and add opera gloves. Add sparkly fake jewels and if you're channeling the winner fully, add a tiara. All accessories can typically be found at Claire's Boutique.
6. Sexy Librarian - Super easy. Take a pencil skirt in grey or black, add a white button down shirt, add a pair of glasses and pull your hair into a messy bun, secured with a pencil. Unbutton a few buttons of the shirt to give the look a bit of sass. To finish it off, add fishnets or thigh-highs and carry a couple books.
7. Pirate Girl - Find a dark-toned flowery sundress, add a belt around the waist, and take a couple of small pouch bags and hang them from the belt. Tie a bandana on your head, and do super black rimmed eyes, a la Captain Jack Sparrow. Huge hoop earrings, 2-3 beaded necklaces and tall black boots. If it's chilly, wrap a shawl around your shoulders in a drapy fashion. Done.
8. Vampiress - This can be pulled off with any vampy dress you may have. Pull on the dress, add fishnets, and pick up vampire fangs at any costume store or Walgreens. If you have a black dress you can sacrifice, slit it up your leg for more punch. Powder your face white, and add blood red lipstick. Drama queens can add a few red drops of "blood" at one corner of your mouth.
9. Sexy Cat - Either take your LBD or any leopard-print dress you may have and don it along with a pair of kitty ears. Make your own or pick some up at the costume store. Pick up a catnip toy to carry with you. Meow! Thanks to @amyscalia for the great idea.
10. French Maid - So incredibly easy. Take a black dress with a flair skirt, add a white apron, pin a lace handkerchief on your hair and carry a feather duster. Add sass with black fishnets and black stillettos. Oh la la!
If all else fails, there are literally thousands of ideas available online. Just do a quick Google search for "last minute costume ideas". Happy Halloween!