Thinking pink this October isn't limited to wearing a pink ribbon on your lapel. You don't have a pink ribbon pin? You're in luck since you can get one free from the Breast Cancer Site Store.
Beyond the pin, more and more retailers are helping their customers show support for the cause through purchase of special pink ribbon products. With each purchase a portion of the proceeds going to breast cancer research and prevention. I am a firm believer in shopping for the cause (and volunteering for the cause, so consider donating your time as well as your money) so here are options for great finds that give back.
Locally, here are just a few of the places to shop and show support:
• Alternative Motive - Local t-shirt makers Alternative Motive have an entire line of t-shirts called Choose Your Belief, where 5% of the profit goes to a designated charity. Check out the Cure 3.0 hoodies and t-shirts. Proceeds benefit Susan G. Komen.
• Baskets of Nature - Mt. Orab-based Baskets of Nature create special gift goodies for your pets. They will donate 25% of the proceeds from the purchase of a Basket with A Cause. This basket includes treats for your pooch and a bandana for you.
• Fit For The Cure - Who hasn't had the fleeting thought that maybe, just maybe your bra doesn't fit like it should? There's never been a better time to remedy your lingerie dilemma - Wacoal and Dillards have partnered for Fit For The Cure. Receive a complimentary fitting in a Wacoal or DKNY bra and for every woman that particpates, Wacoal will donate $2 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Another $2 goes to charity if you buy the bra. How much easier could it be? Be sure to decorate and donate any of your misfit bras to Bras with Flair on the Square!
October 6 - 1-6pm Dillards Tri-County
October 7 11am-5pm Dillards Northgate
October 8 12-6pm Dillards Westside
October 9 12-6pm Dillards Eastgate
October 10 10am-4pm Dillards Kenwood
From a few of our national retail friends:
• White House/Black Market Hope Key Ring - WHBM has created a glittery limited-edition key ring, complete with glass pearls and bead, charms and ribbons. It's perfect for a purse decoration and is a steal at $22. This key ring is only available the month of October and 100% of the proceeds go to Living Beyond Breast Cancer.
• Glitz Watch by Relic - Relic, a division of Fossil, has crafted this statement watch speaks to both your support for breast cancer awareness, and also of fashionable wristwear. With a stainless steel wristband, Swarovski crystals encircling the dial, and featuring a Susan G. Komen pink ribbon on the face, this watch is true style. 61% of the purchase price supports the mission to save lives and end breast cancer.
• Pier 1 Komen Floral Blossom Candle & Reed Diffuser - Pier 1 has been a longtime supporter of Susan G. Komen for th Cure, and this year debuts the Komen Candle & Reed Diffuser. With a sweet blossom scent, the candle looks great anywhere, and also makes a great gift. $15, and 25% of the sales price of all items sold goes to benefit Komen and supports breast cancer research with a minimum guaranteed donation of $250,000.
If you don't want to shop for a cure, donate directly to Susan G. Komen Cincinnati and show your support for early prevention and detection of breast cancer. And be sure to screen yourself, their site will show you how.