With the chilly temps and dreary skies comes the time of year that fashionistas anxiously await...tis the season for boots! Booties, peep-toes, riding boots, leather, pleather, suede or vinyl...fall and winter provide the perfect canvas for footwear that can be stylish, functional and completely on trend. No matter your budget or taste, there is a boot waiting for you, snug inside a shoebox and ready to be shown off around town. Some of my faves:
1. Frye boots - admittedly a spendier choice, Frye has been the hottest boot this season. Frye is the oldest shoe maker in the U.S., and is known for their Harness boot as well as their iconic 60's-era Campus boot, an example of which is in the Smithsonian. Pick up the Harness for versatility with jeans or with dresses for the office.
2. Steve Madden Midory Peep-Toe Bootie - I agree, it's difficult to get used to looking at a bootie and seeing a little hole cut out in the toe. The first time I saw these babies in a magazine, I cringed in horror. Now? I think they are a perfect example of "looks better on". Go for purple, since purple jewel tones are on the season's palette. For the unsure, yes, you can wear them with tights or au natural, but at this point, I'd nix any thought of wear them with socks.
3. Fabulous Fashionista by Crocs - Shocked? Me too. Tacky footwear proprietor Crocs launched a line called You by Crocs and these sexy black vinyl boots are one of the highlights of the collection. As with all other Crocs, these boots won't torture your feet, which lends them perfectly to late night dancing and clubbing.
4. Mirabelle by Abaete Studded Boot - As mentioned in an earlier "Such A Redkatblonde" post, Payless is carrying designer footwear lines by some of the most well-known designers on the market. Laura Poretzky for Abaete brings us this gem. A flat sole mean 100% comfort, so these would be great for downtowners making the long trek from a distant parking lot to the office, and doing it in style. As a note, with any Payless shoes you order online, you can have them shipped to the store for free. If they don't fit, they handle sending them back. Many local stores don't stock the designer kicks, so order online to avoid any retail frustration.
5. Sugar Shoes - Pin Party Tartan Plaid Boot - For my vegan friends out there, I bring you the most unique boot I've seen. Sugar Shoes offers up these quirky plaid boots that fasten at the top with a large gold safety pin. Pick them up at Alternative Outfitters, a fabulous online vegan boutique.
Just remember to take care of your boots, and for leather and suede, treat them with the proper polishes and protectants. For zippers, remember that a little candlewax rubbed on sticky teeth will help zippers pull smoothly. Lastly if your feet hurt, for goodness sake invest in Insolia inserts to go from limping in pain to striding in style.